Prepping for my first transformation in 3rd grade!

Football isn't really my favorite thing. I pretend really well though...or at least I think I do! I also enjoy football snacks like party mix, cheese, dips, the list could go on! We will be having our unit 1 test this week so I wanted a fun way to review all the standards from the first month of school. Thus the idea of a football day (turned into 2 or 3 days!) was born!

If you look on pinterest and instagram you may see rather large room transformations. I have to remind myself that I have a 3 year old and I can't live at school. (or buy all the things...the kid eats like a teenager)  I tend to have mini transformations- just enough to create magic and the kids love it! We've been focusing on place value, addition, subtraction, word problems, and basically 2nd grade review. 

I wanted the kids to progress as if they were a football team crossing the field so I used big green butcher paper and our ellison machine to punch the numbers from white paper. Luckily the people that paint football fields don't use fancy styled numbers!


The day before I gave the kids a ticket to the game. They had to "pay" for their ticket. We talked about how in real life if we went to a game or concert you'd have to pay. They collect otter bucks which is our school currency for good behavior, trying their best, etc. My team has gone digital and the kids can turn otter bucks they earn from other teachers into dojo points. It's like a bank account! So to spend their points in the negative behavior part of dojo I have put "Yay! I am getting to spend my points" or buy a coupon or whatever the case may be and then the points are debited.  We don't take points away for behavior purposes at our school, so the only negative points they earn would be for spending purposes, which is positive! We charged our students 20 dojo points and they got a ticket that said they were invited to wear a jersey or football shirt for the football days. This also built some excitement for the next day!




The next big job was copying the papers to make a little football packet and that was that! Pretty simple! I hung the fields up with hot glue (shhh) and push pins and a few strips of crepe paper from the door to be festive and got some many whoooooaaaa comments when the kids arrived. More to come as we complete our football fun!

Click here for part 2!

No comments