Mini Erasers in 3rd grade!

At what point do you need to go to a "mini erasers anonymous" meeting? I'm not sure why these little mini erasers have become a favorite of mine, but the kids love them too. Erasers out = engagement up!


Whenever I post on instagram about mini erasers I always get messages asking how I use them in my classroom. I feel like my general answer is I use them for everything! (And the best part is if you lose a few along the way it isn't the end of the world!) If you don't know what I am talking about- there are usually little bags of fun seasonal themed erasers in Target's dollar spot. (Also known as bullseye's playground.) Mini erasers have also been spotted at Five Below and a few other stores. Here are some ways that I have used them in my third grade classroom.

1. Game pieces
This one is super easy. I love to play a game called bump. I give the kids baggies with 10 erasers in each so they can play this fun game! I have also used erasers for board games. (Educational or regular ones like Candy Land) No need to make or find game pieces!

2. Multiplication
One of my absolute favorite times to use erasers are with third graders learning multiplication and division. I usually start out using erasers to show equal groups. The kids will make little groups of erasers at my small group table. Eventually we use them to make arrays, but some erasers make better arrays than others!

3. Division
Usually right after multiplication, the division unit starts! The only difference from multiplication is that you need to make sure you have enough erasers at the beginning for your dividend. Sometimes we mix and match a few erasers to do division. I like to keep my collection sorted (and the kids know it) so usually I have one extra design out if they need a few extras. The kids then "pass out" their erasers into equal groups then eventually create arrays.

4. Area and Perimeter
I love using erasers for area because it connects SO easily to arrays with multiplication. This is pretty easy for the kids to do and they get it quickly. For perimeter it's a little trickier. I do a couple things- I can draw the rectangle on the small group tables and the put the erasers on the sides OR I tell them to leave the corners out because they forget to count both sides of the corner pieces. (I hope that makes sense!) I will admit I don't use the erasers for perimeter until they're really getting a handle on it, but I still use them because lets admit the addiction is real and "I do it for the kids."

6 Fractions of a set
Our pacing guide has this unit around March and it's typically the last unit I break out the beloved erasers, except for review. General fractions I tend to draw pictures, talk about pizza, cake, etc all the typical ideas for fractions of a shape. Then we get to pull out the erasers for fractions of a set. I make a BIG deal about not totally mixing them up because I'm a little particular like that. I'll model sharing 2 sets of erasers with my neighbor and it ends up working really well. (That and if it doesn't work out then the erasers disappear.)

As the year goes by, I am sure I will find even more ways to talk about my favorite manipulative!


Be sure to pin the picture below to reference these ideas later!




No comments